Why FanFic makes my heart happy


Okay, confession time. I love to read Fan Fiction. I mean...I LOVE FanFic. My favorite fandom is Harry Potter and I could read nothing but this for the rest of my life and not run out new material. The fans in this fandom are crazy prolific, and so, so many are insanely talented, that it wouldn't even be a hardship to give up other forms of fiction.

If you aren't familiar with the FanFic universe, let me help you out.

fan fic·tion
noun
noun: fanfiction
  1. fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, movie, etc.

Yes, that's right! We the fans spend our time taking our beloved characters and using them to create new stories. Now, the trick here is that FanFic authors are not profiting from the use of someone else's creative property. The fans write this purely for fun, for love of the characters. There have been exceptions, and those publishers should really be ashamed of themselves, but for the most part, these stories are just continuations of the books and movies and television shows that we love.

My favorite pairings are always slash, because as we all know, I love me some boy on boy lovin'. Particularly Drarry (Draco/Harry) and Snarry (Snape/Harry.) I do prefer that these stories take place after seventh year at Hogwarts, when all characters are well and proper adults. And I'm not real big on stories featuring MPreg (Male pregnancy. What? They ARE wizards, it's not so unbelievable) though I won't turn a story down if that's the only tag that bothers me.

Granted, with probably (literally) a million FanFics in just the Harry Potter Fandom, there is a lot of garbage to sift through. But when you find a gem, my God, it shines like a beacon. I have read stories by authors so talented I've wanted to invite them to work on their own work and submit it to my publisher. I've read stories that put my story telling skills to shame. There are amazing authors out there, waiting for you to discover them...and I'd like to share a few of my favorites with you here.

I legit read these at least once a year. They are so well written, so perfectly thought out and executed, they would rank in my all time favorite books. Period. Of all time. No joke. This one is Drarry and it's the boys as adults. So, so good.

This is another one that I read once a year. It's a Snarry and it is so well done I just love it.

Another Drarry fic, set with them as adults. The creativity with this one was so phenomenal, I find myself being drawn back to this one again and again.

There are of course dozens more that I count as my favorites, but the four stories above really seem to capture the essence of why Fan Fiction is so popular and so loved by so many people. When you find a good one, when the characters actions make sense in regards to both the original (canon) world, and the world the authors have created, it is such a joy.

I have a very specific set of rules that I will read HP FanFic in, so I know that I have not even scratched the surface of what all is available. But for me, I limit myself to the following filters:

Drarry or Snarry
50+k words
Completed - (Oh my God. Nothing drives me more crazy than to get 100 pages in to a story only to find out it was abandoned uncompleted three or even ten years ago. UGH!!!! Hate it. So it had better be complete. And if there is a sequel, or sequels, those had better be complete too. Or so help me...I have to move on to something else and just sit and me mad in my madness.)

And I spend my time searching those filters at the websites below:

http://archiveofourown.org/ - Please donate if you can. This site is amazing and was even featured on NPR!

https://www.fanfiction.net/ - Also very good, but kind of strict. You won't find much erotic fiction on this site

So, that's my dirty little secret. I'd love for you to share your Recs in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7 Ted Talks to get lost in [Videos]

Revenge of the Reviews

Bullet Journal Joy